WW1 rifle cartridge
Click ^ for larger image.
This necked, rimless cartridge is 57mm long with a mouth of 8mm, and has been fired.
The headstamp (the writing on the base) reads DM / 4 / 16 / S67. This tells us it was manufactured at Deutsche Munitionsfabriken (Karlsruhe/Berlin, Germany) in April 1916, and once contained a spitzer (pointed) bullet, and that the cartridge case is an alloy of 67% copper and 33% zinc. Typical use of this sort of cartridge would be in a Mauser Model 1888 bolt-action rifle, issued to the infantry.
How this item from the First World War came to be lost in a private garden in Brislington remains a mystery.
Find spot: Hampstead Road, Brislington, Bristol. ST 612710
Exhibit contributed by Ken Taylor
Text written by Ken Taylor, in 2010
Photographer: Kai Taylor (headstamp), Ken Taylor (cartridge)
Acquisition number: 100808a4