Click ^ for larger image.
A little old rubbish dump on the western slope of Nightingale Valley has been so thoroughly trawled through by people looking for curios, that nothing of value remains. What is left is sufficient to the archaeologist looking only for information rather than saleable items or trophies.
The left hand bottle reads W J ROGERS Limited Bristol. W J Rogers was a brewery based in the Old Market/Jacob Street area, and is thought to have operated from around the middle of the 19th century until 1935 when it was taken over by Simonds.
The writing on the other bottle is sadly incomplete and only reads TRADE MARK BRISTOL. However, the logo is very distinct (an X shape apparently composed of two bottles, each with a large O in the middle), and we are hopeful of an identification in due course.
Find spot: Nightingale Valley, Brislington. ST 619715
Exhibit contributed by Ken Taylor
Text written by Ken Taylor, in 2010
Photographer: Ken Taylor
Acquisition number: 100911a1