Arno's Court c.1913
Click ^ for larger image.
This photograph was taken inside the cloisters of what was (according to the 1911 Census) the "Reformatory School for Girls, Arno's Court". Twenty women and girls are arranged individually and in small clusters among flowerbeds, with a conservatory and tall buildings behind them. The site is now enclosed and occupied by the restaurant of the Arno's Manor Hotel.
The photograph was taken by, and the postcard published by, Marshall, Keene & Co. The front carries the title "Arno's Court, Bristol." and the back bears the reference number "13 860". See our notes for more information about this postcard publisher, and their work in Brislington.
We have other exhibits of Arnos Court.
Text written by Ken Taylor (2022)
Photographer: Marshall, Keene & Co. Derivative image (scan) by Ken Taylor, 2022
Acquisition number: 220417a2